Woman Electrocuted In Hotel Room On Her Birthday (Photo)



WAS Funke Balogun, 24, killed? Her family is alleging that she was killed.

But her boyfriend Abolade Adetunji and his family are claiming that she was electrocuted.

Funke, who was a National Diploma II student of Yaba College of Technology (YABATECH), was allegedly electrocuted on a hotel bathroom on Sunday.

The incident happened on 30, Balogun Street, Oshodi in Lagos where she and Adetunji, lodged in his mother’s hotel that was commissioned last Thursday.

Her younger sister, Funmi, said Abolade came to pick her sister at their residence on Saturday around 11pm, adding that was the last she saw of her.

She said: “Abolade was in a hurry that night and I told my sister not to go but she picked some of her things and left with him. On Sunday morning around 7, she called and said plans had changed that they were not going to the beach again but to a hotel and since then, we have been trying her mobile line. When she didn’t pick her call, I became worried. That day was her birthday and our mother still called her in the midnight to pray for her. Even, when my mum called Abolade’s mobile line, someone picked and said he forgot his phone and since then his lime has been switched off.”

Funmi said when she and some family members went to the hotel to check her, they didn’t see her, adding that the receptionist said Adetunji just stepped out and wasn’t with a girl.

“Even when we got to Abolade’s house, we were told he had gone to the beach. Around 8pm on Sunday, my cousin and I went to the hotel again, I sighted blood on the wall and when I asked Abolade’s brother, Bayo where my sister was, he said: ‘at the moment, Funke is dead’; he said it without remorse and was still icing drinks in the freezer. Even when we went to the police station, they said they were not aware of the incident. Is that how my sister will die? She has been dating him for almost a year. He just returned from National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) orientation camp in Anambra State. The boy is very proud to the extent that whenever he visited her, he didn’t greet anyone.”

Adetunji told The Nation on his hospital bed yesterday that the late Funke wanted to have her bath that morning when they realised there was no toothpaste in the toilet.

He said: “She was already in the bathroom and I went to meet my brother who was on the same floor with us to get the toothpaste. As I returned to the room, I tried to open the toilet door but it was stiff. As I gained access to the toilet, I met her on the floor with a shower handle on her right hand. When I tried to carry her, I didn’t know what happened until I saw myself on hospital bed.”

At their home, his father, Mr Jamiu Adetunji, A. K.A (Yaro), said Abolade’s elder brother called their mother that they needed a doctor.

Adetunji said: “Immediately we took them to Geo Medical Centre where Funke eventually gave up. We first took her to General Hospital, Ikeja but she was rejected because there was none of her family members with us. It was later we reported the incident to Akinpelu Police Station where they took the body to Yaba mortuary.

I wouldn’t want to kill someone else’s daughter. Funke was my son’s girl friend and I told her to help me monitor his movement because at times he wouldn’t listen and since he talked about her dearly, I felt she was going to inspire him. It is really unfortunate. My son has put me in trouble. Even when they wanted to know the girl’s full name, I pinched my son few times just for him to wake up. I have arrested the electrician that connected light to the building because last Friday, occupants of the building beside the hotel complained of shock in their house and I told the electrician but he refused to come. It was after the incident he came and was arrested . “

Some family members claimed that the late Funke’s skin was still fresh when they visited the mortuary, adding that there was no sign of electrocution except for her swollen right arm.

The bereaved mother, Mrs Kehinde Balogun, said she still spoke with her daughter on Sunday morning.

She said:”Funke was my first child and she has a three-year-old son. The only reason they live alone is because her school is close to the family house in Oshodi. Why did they kill my beauty? Why? What have I done to deserve this? I wish she listened to her sister that night because she had a dream. I saw my daughter in my sleep this morning telling me she had returned. It is unfortunate.

I wish it was a reality. It is a big tragedy because where she died was three houses from where I gave birth to her. I warned her about him but she told me he was okay and assured me everything was fine.”




Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.