The subject of Power is something that has caught my attention lately due to my observations of its use and abuse in Nigeria specifically and Africa generally. I am shocked and awed at how church people fight over Power in church and also how those outside the church seem to easily forget the finger of God in that realm.
The bible tells us of an experience of the Apostles with respect to being ‘great’ or to be more precise, their ‘succession ambitions’ after the death of Christ. They were reasoning and possibly debating who should be the greatest carnally, then the Lord had to step in to rebuke those thoughts because they were not spiritual but rather carnal and of human nature.
‘And he came to Capernaum:
The response of the Lord on the subject of ambition in the above verses is deeply humbling; He expects us to embrace ‘servant attitude’ if we want to be the greatest. Those outside church may have different approach to Power but I honestly expect those who carry the grace of God and walk with Him daily to view Power as a sacred tool that God Gives and Takes from men at His Own will.
Let me remind what God did with power in the life of some famous Nigerians; He took Power from Abacha, He handed Power to Jonathan Goodluck, He gave power to Tunde Fashola and some very privileged Governors. I am sure you have heard of some strange stories of how some people ascended and how some descended; the stories are endless and amazing, yet people still fight tooth and nail for power forgetting the God factor in the equation.
I will love to Inspire you Today on some age long Truths about Power especially to those who want to hold political Power and financial Positions in life, as you read the points below, remember what Daniel said about God and Power in Daniel 2 v 20
Daniel answered and said,
5 TRUTHS ABOUT POWER
- POWER BELONGS TO GOD NOT MAN (PSALM 62 V 11): Man does not own power but is given power. Many dictators forget this truth and try to hold on to power until the Owner (God) removes them from power. It is also important to note that if God wants you in Power, no scheme of man can remove you until your time.
- POWER IS TRANSIENT IN NATURE AND NOT PERMANENT (DAN 2 V 21-23): Daniel taught this truth very well and he experienced the same because he served 3 kings during his lifetime as a Prince.
- POWER BRINGS HONOR: on those who possess it, even if it is a dog, they shall be honored when in power. Honor comes with Power; it is one of the things that follow those in Power and they should not forget it. Once they leave Power, their phones stop ringing and the visits stop leaving their hours empty and homes deserted because it is the office that carries honor most times not the person except the person uses the office well.
- POWER ATTRACTS SYCHOPHANTS: most especially in Africa and some other places where the people are immature and hungry (1 kings 12 v 12). Rehoboam the son of Solomon attracted so many Sycophants to him and made the wrong decisions when he got Power. The Lord removed him and his kingdom was divided.
5. POWER CAN BE ABUSED, MISUSED AND USED WELL: so those in
Power are to note this and be careful what they do when in Power.
I hope you have been Inspired today and I look forward to hearing from you. Drop me a note of acknowledgment and encouragement.